Monday, May 18, 2009

Absences Amounting

I haven't been too happy recently.

We had a game against Notre Dame on Monday, the... 11th. I didn't play first (I never do), and got to watch ND play dirtier, and dirtier. People were bleeding, couldn't breathe, and Maddy now has a splendid bruise around her eye, but I digress.

They eventually had number nine and ten in the Sin Bin, so there's their scrumhalf and their flyhalf gone. I was sent on and didn't play very well because I was scared. Kira's lip was bleeding Christine's head ached, Gigi had been seized by her ponytail and pushed into the ground, and so on.
We lost 12-5, which is two tries and a converted try to a try. F**k.

Our second game was Friday the 15th. We were at Pius X, and our warm-ups were so... bad. We fumbled passes, and did stupid things. Then the game started at 4 when the schedule clearly said 3:30. Nobody told the ref. Who, might I add, was so fussy. Shoulders a high tackle? I mean, the time Cass grabbed the girl by the neck (accidentally!) was high, but shoulders? Gigi and Kathleen were both out. They're twins, and they're tall, so they aim for shoulders and drop to knees. We were playing two short =(.

Our flanker came off, and Kadija, our other flanker, was sitting on the sidelines doing nothing! So I went on as flanker, Caroline came off, so I jumped to props, and Amy became flanker, she who has never played the position before. Come to think of it, neither have I. Anyway, we played well, and lost 7-5. Their eight-man was so predictable. On a back-ten penalty, she'd tap and go, and run by herself, drawing the defenders before passing to the exact same bleeding person.

Then in a line-out, all of the sudden, someone ran through, and grabbed the ball. What the hell? Speaking of lineouts, Dale was gone, so I was lifting Kat, who's shorter, and heavier. I couldn't get her up, so we lost quite a few lineouts.

I played until a few minutes to the end when I was sent a sub. Which I didn't want.

After their try, no one brought water. What happens is, after a try, the kicker gets to try and kick the ball between the upright goalposts, and the other team lounges around their endzone. During this time, we are alloted water.

Which didn't come.

Damn.

I played pretty well, but I feel as though I could have lifted Kat better, and run faster to stop that girl from getting that try.

I did tackle someone, and she swore at me as she fell =P. I just ducked, grabbed her knees, and used her momentum to flop her over. She offloaded, so no rucking for me. I rucked a few times, shoved in a maul...

So there's the game at my school tomorrow, so we have to win. Fingers crossed for me?

2 comments:

  1. hey just found your blog of ravelry. shoulder tackles depend on the referee, some think its fine and then there's always a ref who thinks anything above the waist is high.... starting beach rugby season tomorrow first practise since june! and then first tournament on saturday. I think my coach is nuts for us to play on 2 practises but then i don't have to worry as i can't play xD (I'm lizzie1989 on rav)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just hope we don't get her reffing again! She was a nightmare, and could hardly keep up with play!

    Good luck at the tourney! Two practises? Phoof. Luck again! And beach rugby sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete